Thursday, August 6, 2009

39 weeks and Legacy to the next generation - Acceptance

Went to the gynae today and baby Jillian is doing OK. No cord around her neck, weighs between 3.5-3.8kg. Simon said the gynae only mentioned 3.5kg coz maybe he didn't want to scare me coz I told him I hope not more than 3.8kg at full term.

Most people tell me that Jillian is big for a girl. And my belly is so low that some think I am going into labour any minute. Jon weighed 3.4kg when he was delivered at 38weeks. I had to induce him then coz I had mild high blood pressure. I am lifting these couple of weeks to God and trusting that everything will be fine.

We went to do one last round of comparing prices for Jillian's baby carrier cum car seat. Although I like one light grey and pink one, the size is a bit petite. And while it says up to 18 months, at her current size I think it will last only a year. I found another one over the weekend that's in red and I think that should last her 18months. After which we will have to get a booster seat for Jon while Jillian inherits Jon's brown Graco car seat.

I also picked up Bob the Builder party hats, whistles, a place mat, a plate-bowl-cup and spoon set. While it will be a family only celebration on Sun for Jon's birthday, I can't help but but a few celebration stuff....

We bought formula milk for cousin Mabel and Simon exclaimed, "You mean we're going to have to buy RM58 a pack formula milk a week, and not Jon's RM35 a pack one?" Yes, plus the diapers, expenses will be going up....So I will endeavour to breast feed. Free one, you know? Plus will help shed of the weight gained.

This time round, I have put on 8kgs. Actually I put on less coz I had 6kgs left from Jon and I lost most of that in the first 4 months. Anyhows, if I used the same base weight, I put on 12.5 for Jon and 8kgs for Jillian. No water retention this time round, no shiny red Rudolph nose, no swollen feet. This pregnancy is agreeing with me.

Spoke to my mom today and she said, "No drinking cold water yah. No matter how hot and tempting the weather is." She read my mind. I told her too late, I have been taking cold drinks....gassy ones too!

OK, some photos of Jon that I took recently.

Playing the drums at Jimmy's place


He found my hammer and was hammering away...must have learnt that from watching Bob the Builder!
Attempting to eat the gianormous pau from Kuching that an aunt brought back
Legacy to our children
The gift of your acceptance: Everyone craves acceptance. It seems we never get enough. When you give your children the opportunity to be themselves and to become what God—not you—wants them to be, you give them a great legacy. The welcoming environment of acceptance is the atmosphere in which kids bloom. Jesus said, “Whoever welcomes a little child, welcomes me” (Luke 9:48 NLT).

Even though they’re your children, acceptance is never automatic. You must be intentional in offering it and continual in showing it. One of the most important times is when a child does something that embarrasses you publicly. At that moment, you have a choice: Will I care more about how others see me or about the feelings of my child? We’ve all seen embarrassed parents in stores use angry, derogatory words with kids who didn’t realize what they were doing.

An often-quoted research study noted that the single greatest factor determining whether a child succeeds in life or messes up is the presence and acceptance of a caring adult in his or her life. The amazing discovery was that it doesn’t have to be a parent! It just has to be someone who offers love, acceptance, and godly guidance.

Can we accept all children? Don't we have hopes and aspirations of how we want our children to behave and be in future? PS: I told MIL today with this H1N1 situation, perhaps parents will think twice about wanting their kids to be doctors. They are in the frontline. MIL said better to be a pharmacist. Simon said sick still visit the pharmacist to get their medication. So dentistry should see higher enrollment right?

1 comment:

KristineCheang said...

Hi Kim,

Nice to hear you are labour soon... wish all the best to you...