Sunday, August 23, 2009

Promoted to big brother

Jonathan is now a big brother to his baby sister, Jillian. He knows he has a younger sister, and will pop by the her room to see her in the morning. If he doesn't see her there (as the confinement nanny has brought her out to the garden for tanning to get rid of the bilirubin), he will say, "Mei you (don't have)."If he does see her, he will smile and point and her, sometimes calling her mei mei, sometimes touching her on her legs. But that's about it. He's being a man, his grandma says. Will try to take a snapshot of them together.

I guess that's the difference between girls and boys. Boys will acknowledge the presence of the younger sibling, and that's that. Guess he will respond to her when she is older and can play with her.

I know...coz I have an older brother by six years and 2months. He played with me when I was like in primary school....never recalled him playing with me when I was younger. Even when he brought his schoolmates back one day to play Risk. He didn't invite me to play with them. Until one of his classmates asked me to partner him and let me roll the dice when it came to his turn. Hmmmm, can't remember his name, but I think that was my first crush, coz he was kind and attentive to me, LOL!

On another note, Simon brought Jillian for a blood test yesterday coz he said she was yellow. I thought she was more red than yellow. Silly me, I forgot to press against her skin, if it turns white, should be OK. If yellow that means too much bilirubin.The blood test resulta reveal that the bilirubin level was 249, much higher than the average 170. She screamed so much when they poked the needle at her heel. No blood at the first prick and they had to find another spot! Poor baby!

The medical officer said to go back on Mon for another test. We had been sunning her in the mornings, giving her a couple of teaspoonfuls of green grape juice and bathed her in coconut water. Also boiled some herbal drink from TCM, called jin yin hua, and cooled it before givng her a few teaspoonfuls. Yesterday and today, we bathed her in water that was boiled with bittergourd vine (of course letting it cool till lukewarm). I should record all these traditional remedies down for future generations hor?

5 comments:

Jo said...

wow, ya man! I didn't know all these confinement things, and neither did my mom. I had to order confinement food cos Elisha came too near CNY, confinement ladies were charging waaay too much.

Anonymous said...

Jillian looks like daddy!! She is so cute. Feel like carrying her.

Yin said...

She's such a sweetie Kim! How are you doing yourself? Hope all is fine after the birth, and i guess very soon will be seeing you scrapping for your princess too.

shaggyfish said...

oooooooooh no looking at jillian makes me feel like having a baby toooooo! LOLxx!
love the serene look and im sure she smells goooooood! I love babies smell:)))

ooooh kim, did yr friend collect the RAK from MWL? the last i heard the RAK was not collected??

Brainybairn said...

Congrats!! Didn't realise that you have popped! So much hair! Hope you aren't too tired by it all!