Saturday, October 4, 2008

Food in Miri

You know, when people know that I am now in Malaysia, they think that I have access to yummylicious food, the likes of food in Penang, KL, or Malacca.

Maybe I have to remind them that I am in Miri, Sarawak, EAST Malaysia....not West Malaysia. Here, food is simple fare. And according to one of Simon's aunties who operates a restaurant, the folks here like to eat healthy. So, not so much condiments, vinegar, soya sauce, or any type of sauce. As an example, the infamous Kolo mee is very different from those we have in Singapore. It's just plain noodles with some minced pork. No char siew, no fishballs or sliced fish cakes, nano, tidak adah, mei you.

With a small population of 300,000+ people in Miri, it'll be difficult to find eateries serving international cuisines (and I am not talking about hotel buffets). There is one Taiwanese restaurant, two Korean restaurants (just drove by a new one two days ago), one Italian (2 branches), two Japanese restaurants (used to have more, but they didn't do too well to last, and I think it's going to be very expensive to get good and fresh sashimi).

But I still like to try new eating places in Miri, especially on Saturdays evenings. We close around 3.30pm on Sats, and we go home to chill, rest and play with Jonathan. Then we give MIL a break and go eat.

PS: Check out this blog I Eat I Shoot I Post. I so agree with the blogger's mantra "Don't waste your calories on yucky food". Keeps me updated on the food scene in Singapore. Makes me slightly homesick, even nostalgic of the places I frequented. I wait in anticipation of my trip back to Singapore in Dec.

If you have time, go read the comments to the blogger's postings. Wow, some very heated debate by passionate foodies on simple pizza fare in a hawker centre. Just dismiss those comments that are fault-finding and are personal attacks rather than constructive comments. And if you're free, go join them on their makan sessions.

No comments: