Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Last night's dream and Legacy to the next generation

Last night, I couldn't sleep from mid-night till one-plus coz the dogs kept barking at some rats! I even heard the rats running on the roof of the ground floor, so it sounded like they were running on the floorboards of the 2nd floor! Then I tossed and turned till two plus before I could sleep.

When I was awake, I prayed that Jillian's birth will be with as little pain as possible and not too long a period in the delivery suite. Simon's cousin gave birth two months ago in less than 2hrs, from the time her first contraction started till she delivered in the hospital. Even her gynae wasn't ready! I thought so much about her delivery till I dreamt that I delivered in about 2hrs! When I woke up, I touched my belly and it tightened. I even imagined a contraction, but it was just my belly tensing up. Then Jon climbed up beside me from his mattress and promptly slept on my pillow...yes ON my pillow, till I was edged out.

Yesterday devotion from Rick Warren: Every parent longs to leave a positive legacy in their children, but what does it take? Having dealt with thousands of families over the years, I’ve noticed four common gifts we need to give to the next generation: Our presence, our acceptance, our guidance and our correction.The gift of your presence: Sometimes just being there is what matter most to your kids.

Presence - When his daughter didn't make it for the colour guard in her eighth grade and came home and cried in her closet, the family crawled inside the closet and cried with her. They didn't console her or changed the subject. They just hurt with her, didn't try to talk her out of her grief or say that she will do better next time.

We are more used to speaking then listening.....so this is food for thought.
Think blog postings will be boring without photos. So here is Jon taking a toothpick from the container.

And then trying to put it back! LOL!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Kim, very precious words, and it definitely got me thinking.

Soon, your lil gal will be in your arms, and you're always in my thoughts, and i'm hoping that all will be well for you & Jillian when she arrives.

Have a good weekend ahead!!

shaggyfish said...

Hey, john really cute, getting really looks serious/ mature ... ready to be a big brother to jillian! will pray for your smooth delivery... lots of love and hugs :)